On-Call Substitute Teacher (2 Positions)
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
The Substitute Teacher is a full time position, which may be assigned any classroom in the entire Nay Ah Shing School system. The Substitute Teacher is responsible to follow the lesson plan as prepared by the regular classroom teacher. The Substitute Teacher is responsible to implement the behavior plan of the school and classroom
- Loves young people, can whole-heartedly engage in working with and for them.
- Bachelor’s degree, licensed teacher per 1 – 4 Tier Minnesota Teacher Licensing requirements.
- Willingness to maintain a high level of competence, exercise discreet judgment, and honor confidentiality.
- Compliance with Mille Lacs Band drug and alcohol policy.
- Compliance with federal background check.
- Projects an image of service and professionalism with a positive attitude.
- Interacts easily as an integral leader and member of the faculty and staff.
- Understanding of the relationship of Nay Ah Shing School to the Mille Lacs community, values and supports the mission of all.
- Experience, familiarity and the ability to work with the diverse constituencies of Nay Ah Shing School.
- Licensed in CPR and First Aid.
- Experienced with Project-Based Learning
- Experience in use of Chromebooks and Google Classroom
• Must have current valid driver’s license, reliable personal transportation, proof of current insurance coverage, and insurability under the Band’s Auto Insurance Policy.
• Must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test.
• Background investigation required that shows no theft or fraud above a misdemeanor, no felony drug conviction and no sexual or crimes-against-a-person conviction at any level.
• A staff person with direct contact with or access to children in care must disclose the arrest, conviction, and applicant background information if that staff person:
(a) has a conviction of, has admitted to, has an adjudication of delinquency for, has been charged and is awaiting trial for, or a preponderance of the evidence indicates the person has committed:
- a crime against a child;
- an act of physical or sexual abuse;
- a felony;
- the same or similar crimes as those in this subsection listed in the laws of another state or of the United States or of any Tribal law;
(b) has a conviction of, has admitted to, has an adjudication of delinquency for, has been charged and is awaiting trial for, or a preponderance of the evidence indicates the person has committed any misdemeanor offense under Federal, State, or Tribal law involving crimes of violence; sexual assault, molestation, exploitation, contact or prostitution; crimes against persons; or offenses committed against children. The Licensing Committee may evaluate the nature and time of a misdemeanor assault charge as well as other types of misdemeanor crimes not specified in this section to determine whether employment is appropriate.
8 MLBSA § 1212(a-b).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Participate in Child & School Team meetings when requested in order to provide cultural resources to the team in helping heal the student in a holistic approach.
• Implementing PBIS in the classroom and school
• Assists parents in understanding the rules and procedures of the Individual Education Plan process.
• Project an image of service and professionalism with a positive attitude.
• Addresses tardiness and absenteeism issues with the students/parents and finds a resolution to the problem.
• Nature of work is such those incumbent experiences regular periods of moderate to high stress levels. Primary sources of stress deals with student issues and workload.
• Work environment will vary depending on programming.
• Moderate threat of personal danger or risk.
• Hours 8-4pm
• Local travel is required, limited travel outside the state is also required.