Dental Hygienist (Part-Time)
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
The Dental Hygienist provides dental hygiene and preventive dental instruction to patients.
• Associates degree in a Certified Dental Hygiene program with current licensure with the Minnesota Board of Dentistry required, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• One to three years’ experience as a dental hygienist required.
• Nitrous Oxide certification required
• Certification of administering local anesthesia required.
• Bond removal with rotary instruments certification preferred.
• Knowledge of data entry and Microsoft office programs required; ability to read and write sufficiently, maintain accuracy of records and interpret computer printouts.
• Experience with Dentrix / dental software preferred.
• Knowledge of the Privacy Act of 1974 and the ability to maintain strict confidentiality of patient, Clinic and Band information.
• Knowledge of dental disease prevention techniques, dental prophylaxis techniques and procedures, and of public health dental programs.
• Ability and willingness to keep abreast of current changes in policies, regulations, dental standards of practice and IHS procedures.
• Skill in the use and care of dental tools and equipment.
• Ability to perform routine maintenance on equipment and determine when and what maintenance is needed.
• Ability to instruct patients in the proper oral hygiene, expose dental radiographs to maintain records; and to prepare concise reports.
• Ability to accept direction and constructive criticism and follow through in a timely and accurate manner.
• Ability to work and communicate sensitively, confidentially, and effectively with patients, families and co-workers.
• Ability to produce timely and accurate work with a high degree of efficiency.
• Experience in and sensitive to Native American culture preferred.
• Has temperament and concentration necessary to effectively perform work of highly detailed and sensitive nature.
• Must have a current valid driver’s license.
• Must be insurable under the Mille Lacs Band driver’s insurance policy.
• Must pass background check.
• Must pass a pre-employment drug & alcohol test.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Perform mechanical polishing to clinical crowns, including instrumentation and removal of calculus by instrumentation. Complete debridement, prophylaxis, and nonsurgical periodontal therapy Apply topical medications such as, but not limited to, topical fluoride, bleaching agents, and cavity varnishes in appropriate dosages or quantities as prescribed by a dentist.
• Place subgingival medicaments.
• Obtain informed consent within scope of practice.
• Take photographs and radiographs extraorally or intraorally.
• Take vital signs such as pulse rate and blood pressure as directed by a dentist.
• Expose all diagnostic radiographs.
• Make referrals to dentists, physicians, and other practitioners in consultation with a dentist.
• Participate in outreach activities such as but not limited to Health Fairs, School Dental Screenings, Head Start programs.
• Nutritional counseling, salivary analysis and preparation of smears for dental health purposes.
• Administration of local anesthesia.
• Administration and monitoring of nitrous oxide inhalation analgesia pursuant to the Minnesota Board of Dentistry provisions.
• Remove temporary crowns or restorations with hand instruments only.
• Etch appropriate enamel surfaces, apply and adjust pit and fissure sealants.
• Place and remove matrix systems and wedges
• Remove marginal overhangs.
• Fabrication and delivery of custom fitted trays.
• Place and remove isolation devices or materials for restorative purposes.
• Fabrication, placement, replacement, cementation, and adjustment of temporary crowns or restorations.
• Remove excess cement from inlays, crowns, bridges, and orthodontic appliances
• Place and remove, elastic orthodontic separators.
• Preselect orthodontic bands.
• Attach prefit and preadjusted orthodontic appliances.
• Remove excess bond material from orthodontic appliances.
• Cut arch wires, remove loose bands, or remove loose brackets on orthodontic appliances.
• Place initial arch wires on orthodontic appliances. A dentist must select and, if necessary, adjust arch wires prior to placement.
• Remove and replace ligature ties and existing arch wires on orthodontic appliances.
• Remove fixed orthodontic bands and brackets
• Remove bond material from teeth with rotary instruments after removal of orthodontic appliances.
• Deliver vacuum-formed orthodontic retainers.
• Place and remove periodontal packs, remove sutures.
• Place non-surgical retraction material for gingival displacement.
• Place cotton pellets and temporary restorative materials into endodontic openings.
• Record treatment information in patient records.
• Etch appropriate enamel surfaces before bonding of orthodontic appliances by a dentist.
• Perform preliminary charting of oral cavity and surrounding structures to include case histories, perform initial and periodic examinations and assessment to determine periodontal status, and formulate a dental hygiene treatment plan in coordination with the dentist’s treatment plan.
• Take impressions for casts and appropriate bite registration.
• Perform procedures set up and post-procedure clean up and sterilization of equipment and exam room. Manage supplies needed and replenish based per inventory procedure.
• Dispose of biohazard items and used equipment in an acceptable manner.
• Comply with all policies and procedures regarding work hazards, including Clinic Infection Control Policies and Procedures, Facility Exposure Control Plan, and Federal Blood Borne Pathogen regulations.
• Assist, as directed, in data collection and report production of Indian Health Service and Band.
• Change all personal protective equipment between patients and dispose of them in an acceptable manner to minimize any risk of cross contamination.
• Utilize appropriate biohazard and sharps containers.
• Comply with all clinic and Band policies and procedures.
• Schedules appointments, operator set-up, ordering dental supplies and materials, and the receiving and seating of patients.
• Perform normal office duties including answering phones, arranging and confirming appointments, filing and copying, maintain desk and reception area, greets patients and visitors, answers patient and visitor inquiries.
• Maintains appropriate records of patient treatment, missed appointments, payments etc
• Prepare patient charts, files, and other care and billing documentation.
• Prepares correspondence to patients.
• Provides postoperative instruction; and instructs patients in oral health care.
• Assists, as directed, with any quality assurance or continuous quality improvement activities.
• Serve as a resource and responds to inquiries from internal customers, third-party carriers and other external customers.
• Refers all new patients to Patient Registrar before each appointment to assure that all billing and other registration is current.
• Other duties as assigned within scope of practice and as defined by the Minnesota Board of Dentistry.
• Must be able to enter into a collaborative practice arrangement with the Dentist.
• Reports to the Dentist in the absence of the Dental Director.
• Use of protective equipment, such as gloves and masks, to protect against infectious diseases is required.
• Safety procedure must be followed when handling radiographic equipment.
• Nature of work is such that incumbent experiences infrequent periods of moderate stress levels while dealing with patients and payers, workload may be a significant source of stress.
• Work is exclusively in doors in a well-lighted, clean, and controlled climate area.
• Little threat of personal danger.
• Hours are typically 8-5, however extra hours may be required.
• Local travel is required.
- Submit resume, cover letter, and employment application to:
43408 Oodena Drive
Onamia, MN 56359
- Fax: 320-532-7492
- Email: email@example.com