Solid Waste Driver (2 Positions)
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
Performs a variety of skilled duties involved in the collection of residential and commercial refuse, along an assigned route operating heavy, front, rear and side loading refuse vehicles.
• Must possess a commercial driver’s license.
• High school diploma or GED certificate.
• Two (2) years of experience in the operation of trucks, construction equipment or related automotive equipment.
• Must be able to lift a minimum of 70lbs on a regular basis.
• Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
• Knowledge of refuse collection techniques.
• Experienced in operational and maintenance characteristics of refuse collection vehicles.
• Familiar with traffic laws, ordinances and rules involved in heavy truck operation.
• Knowledge of hazards and applicable safety rules and regulations involved in the operation of refuse collection vehicles.
• Aware of Band ordinances and policies pertaining to refuse collection.
• Capable of operating heavy trucks skillfully, safely and according to traffic laws and regulations.
• Experience in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Ability to perform routine maintenance on refuse collection vehicles.
• Must have current commercial driver’s license and be insurable under the Band’s Auto Insurance Policy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Drives and operates a front, side, or rear loading refuse vehicle to collect contained refuse on designated route; operates controls to empty trash bins into truck.
• Operates skid steer loader; loads all uncontained refuse, brush, trash, and solid waste into rear loading refuse truck.
• Transports loaded refuse to the appropriate landfill; disposes of refuse.
• Receives and responds to inquiries and requests from the public; provides public with information regarding section operation and policy.
• Maintains assigned vehicle; maintains fluid levels and tire pressure in assigned vehicle; washes trucks as necessary; inspects assigned vehicle and equipment for mechanical or safety problems; performs minor repairs and adjustments as necessary.
• Reports unsafe working conditions, accidents and injuries to supervisor; informs supervisor of unsafe or broken sanitation containers and unsafe, difficult or poorly maintained collection sites.
• Contacts homeowners to obtain permission to remove refuse from private property.
• Prepares routine operational reports including daily truck log sheet and daily equipment log sheet.
• May load contained and uncontained refuse manually.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Work exposes incumbent to conditions such as fumes, noxious odors, dusts, mists, gases, and poor ventilation.
• Work exposes incumbent to possible bodily injury from moving mechanical parts of equipment, tools, or machinery.
• Work exposes incumbent to hazardous chemicals.
• Work is performed for sustained periods outdoors and occasionally in hot, cold, or inclement weather.
• Work requires use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, or gloves.
• Hours are typically 8-5, but possibly with some extra hours. Must also be able to work a varied work schedule.
• Local travel to all three Districts is required, travel outside the state is very limited.
- Submit resume, cover letter, and employment application to:
43408 Oodena Drive
Onamia, MN 56359
- Fax: 320-532-7492
- Email: email@example.com