Niigaan Education Mentor DII
Position Title: Niigaan Education Mentor DII
Reports to: District Coordinator
Opening Date: November 21, 2017
Closing Date: December 8, 2017
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
The Education Mentor is responsible for providing a comprehensive, diversified education program, (tutoring, educational lessons, and classroom (group) instruction) that meets the needs of the clientele and community.
• High School Diploma or GED, and two (2) years of post-secondary education are required.
• One to three (1-3) years of prior experience in youth work, education, child development, or related field is required.
• One to three (1-3) years of experience working within tribal communities required.
• Should have experience in educational program planning, organizing special events, and working in collaboration with other area agencies and schools.
• Must have experience tutoring youth.
• Must be comfortable with communicating with parents on a regular basis regarding client’s progress and activities.
• Must be able to maintain statistical information regarding programs and participation.
• Must be computer literate and have the ability to troubleshoot computer problems and operate in applicable computer software.
• Must have current valid driver’s license and be insurable under the Mille Lacs Band Drivers Insurance policy.
• Must pass a background check.
• Must pass a pre-employment drug & alcohol test.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Run daily educational programs including, but not limited to, tutoring, computer classes, literacy programs, group collaboration sessions, and group instruction.
• Teach classroom lessons, lasting up to an hour, of educational enrichment that is tangible/ job specific, as well as age appropriate.
• Upon implementation and fulfillment of program requirements, provide critical analysis of success/shortcomings and how to improve.
• Submit periodic (Daily, Weekly, Monthly) written reports including statistical information.
• Maintain positive working relationship with area schools and teachers.
• Supervise the Learning Center.
• Supervise program volunteers.
• Facilitate group club programs and plan special events. i.e. Family Fun Night, presentation of program highlights/ lowlights and progress of each individual client on an, as needed basis.
• Work with the Education Advisory Committee and the Elders Advisory Board.
• Communicate effectively with the community, staff, members and parents.
• Attend monthly Community Meetings.
• Attend regular staff meetings and be responsible for extensive record keeping and documentation.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Complete detailed reports including incident reports and program progress reports.
• Must abide by mandated reporting guidelines.
• Typical hours are 12:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Extra hours, weekend and seasonal availability are required for this job on an as needed basis.
• There is moderate stress associated with this position.
• Work is primarily indoors, but events and trips may require some outdoor work.
• There is little risk of personal danger or risk.
• Some local travel may be required.
Submit resume, cover letter, and employment application to:
Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe
43408 Oodena Dr.
Onamia, MN 56359
Fax # (320) 532-7492
e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org