JOB TITLE: Compliance Specialist
REPORTS TO: Compliance Director
LOCATION: Grand Casino Mille Lacs
OPENING DATE: February 9, 2024
CLOSING DATE: February 23, 2024
GRADE LEVEL: E8
The Compliance Specialist will work with compliance management researching Information Technology
requests for new systems and modifications to existing systems, reviewing and approving gaming
enterprise System of Internal Control (SICs) submissions, and gaming promotions The Compliance
Specialist will monitor and inspect the Mille Lacs Band (MLB) Gaming Enterprises, including charitable
gaming operations and Class II gaming on Band Land, to ensure compliance with the National Indian
Gaming Commission (NIGC) Regulations, Mille Lacs Band Detailed Gaming Regulations (DGRs) and
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field, three (3) years of gaming regulatory experience or gaming area
of a casino; or seven (7) years combination of education and experience.
- Gaming Regulatory Authority (GRA) experience preferred.
- Experience in reviewing Systems of Internal Controls preferred.
- Experience in reviewing gaming promotions preferred.
- Strong knowledge of Mille Lacs Band Detailed Gaming Regulations, NIGC Regulations and Tribal-
- Ability to respond to inquiries or concerns internally and externally with professionalism and clarity.
- Ability to maintain strict confidential information of all Gaming enterprise and GRA records.
- Excellent written, analytical, verbal, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills independently and as a part of a team.
- Encourage mutual respect among employees and across organizations by setting positive examples.
- Ability to manage multiple, diverse tasks simultaneously and effectively prioritize work; strong
organizational skills in a results-oriented environment.
- Ability to work with a moderate level of autonomy in a dynamic environment with moderate
- Must disclose immediate family members and household members working for Mille Lacs Corporate
Ventures, the Gaming Enterprises and the GRA to avoid potential conflicts.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Must have strong moral character.
- Must pass pre-employment testing.
- Must be able to obtain a Class A Key Gaming License.
- Must have a current valid Minnesota driver’s license and reliable personal transportation.
- This position will require frequent periods of standing, walking, sitting, and ability to lift light (20 lbs.
or less) boxes or equipment.
- This position will require working around the public in a facility where the employee could be
exposed to second-hand smoke, perfume, cologne, food and drink odors, dust, and other odors.
Mille Lacs Band Member / American Indian preference applies.
- Assist in collection and organization of Office of Gaming Regulation & Compliance (OGR&C)
- Analyze and provide recommendations on OGR&C submissions, as applicable.
- Ensure a superior level of data collection and organization is achieved for the GRA.
- Work with Compliance management to ensure GRA employees are prepared for server-assisted,
internet, sports betting and Class II gaming.
- Responsible for ensuring accurate and timely analytical information is communicated to the
management on a regular basis, immediately informing them of potential risks or violations.
- Assist in the development of communications regarding policies and standards by facilitating
information sessions and developing guidance documents.
- Maintain open and professional rapport with internal control owners to find solutions for compliance
violations. Stay abreast of current trends and practices within area of responsibility and communicate
pertinent information to management, peers, and employees as appropriate.
- Assist in the development and communication of Detailed Gaming Regulations.
- Assist in analyzing, preparing and presenting GRA Board recommendations for Gaming system
requests for new installations and modifications of assisting systems.
- Assist in development and communication of technology verification and testing; inclusive of how
to’s and checklists.
- Review and approve SICS and assist gaming enterprise staff with how to submit for approval.
- Review and approve gaming promotions.
- Review of contracts to ensure language is included within the promotion for third party gaming
promotions, as applicable.
- Perform inspections of all MLB gaming operations, charitable gaming operations and Class II gaming
on Band Lands, as often as necessary to ensure compliance with applicable tribal laws, rules and
regulations, requirements of IGRA, the NIGC, and the Tribal-State Compact to ensure the honesty,
fairness, integrity, and security of gaming.
- Hours of work are typically 8am to 5pm, Monday through Friday, with flexibility and the possibility
of nights, weekends, and holidays due to workload or deadlines.
- Frequent travel between properties and interstate for responsibilities and training is required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Gaming Regulatory Authority
Office of Gaming Regulation & Compliance
Attn: Jennifer Tretter, Executive Admin Assistant
Grand Casino Mille Lacs
700 Grand Ave
Onamia, MN 56359