Certified Medical Assistant/Medical Records Technician
Position Title: Certified Medical Assistant/Medical Records Technician
Reports to: Director of Nursing
Opening Date: December 4, 2017
Closing Date: December 18, 2017
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
The Certified Medical Assistant/Medical Records Technician is responsible for assisting the medical providers, taking basic x-rays, and a variety of patient care activities based on the needs of the individual patient, and assists with care planning and patient education. The incumbent is also responsible for the Filing, medical chart maintenance and assisting with front desk responsibilities.
• Current unrestricted Medical Assistance Certification. (Eight months is allowed from the date of hire to pass the examination.)
• Minimum of one to three years of experience in a clinic setting preferred.
• Knowledge of and experience in performing simple lab and CLIA wavered lab tests.
• Experience with drawing blood.
• Minimum of one-year experience or training in medical records strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of general office skills such as typing, filing, compilation of referral letters, answering phones, etc.
• Ability to remain calm and composed when dealing with patients and/or parents who are stressed.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills required. Fluency in Ojibwe language preferred.
• Understands the practical application of infection control, exposure control and quality assurance practices.
• Knowledge of Data Privacy Act and ability to maintain strict confidentiality of all patients, Clinic and Band information.
• Knowledge and sensitive to Native American culture and traditions.
• Must have valid Minnesota driver license and the ability to be insured under the Mille Lacs Band driving insurance policy.
• Must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test, and a criminal background check.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Prepare patients for examinations by explaining the exam procedure.
• Assist physician with patient exam at the provider’s request.
• Take basic X-rays, develop the X-ray and prepares to send out for analysis.
• Prepares and administers injections and/or other treatments at the provider’s direction.
• Draws/collect and at times analyzes lab specimens as ordered by the provider.
• Reports all lab results to provider and records in the patient’s medical record.
• Assists with dressing changes, cast revisions/applications, minor procedures, etc. as directed by the provider.
• Instructs patient or his/her significant others regarding home care, other health care, medication, etc.
• Makes necessary arrangements for necessary dx testing and/or treatment to be accomplished outside the clinic.
• Records patient vital signs, medications, allergies and/or smoking status on PCC.
• Record statistics.
• Perform routine and complex procedures following standard protocols and instructions. Follow established quality control procedures.
• Comply with established policy and procedures for infection control and exposure control.
• Use proper techniques for exposure follow-up.
• Follows established protocols for needle and other sharps exposure and disposal.
• Assures all internal and external pharmaceuticals and sterile and non-sterile supplies are kept separated in refrigerator or other storage.
• Check stock weekly for expiration and assure proper disposition of expired items.
• Following each patient exam, sterilize with approved solution the exam room, equipment and instruments before bring in the next patient. Store instruments.
• Maintain nursing station according to standards.
• Order necessary medical supplies to keep clinic inventory at standardized levels in accordance with Band and clinic policy and procedures. Document orders as appropriate.
• Assure that all patients referred to contract providers are seen by the CHS Manager before leaving the clinic.
• Actively participate in various committees, including Infection Control, Safety, Managed Care and Diabetes.
• Assist with all clinic quality assurance activities /surveys.
• Maintain knowledge of policies, procedures, protocols and regulations governing the provision of nursing/medical services in a 638 clinic. Advise others as needed.
• Work at the other clinic sites when needed.
• File and keep the medical records updated on a daily basis, which include lab & x-ray reports, consults, progress notes, MD/FNP orders release forms, etc..
• Answers phones and covers the receptionist desk, in the absences of the receptionist.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Nature of work is such that the incumbent experiences infrequent periods of low to moderate stress while dealing with patients. Workload may also be a source of stress.
• Work is exclusively in doors in a controlled climate area.
• Moderate threat of personal danger or risk, as incumbent is exposed to chemicals, and infectious agents, and must use special precautions to avoid injury or harm.
• Incumbent also handles glassware, needles, microbiological incinerator, and specimens such as stool and urine.
• Must use personal protective equipment such as mask, gloves, and goggles.
• Hours are typically 8-5, but possibly with some extra hours.
• Local travel is required.
Submit resume, cover letter, and employment application to:
Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe
43408 Oodena Dr.
Onamia, MN 56359
Fax # (320) 532-7492
e-mail to email@example.com