Bus Driver/Maintenance Worker
Position Title: Bus Driver/Maintenance Worker
Location: Early Education – District III (Lake Lena)
Reports to: District Coordinator
Opening Date: November 21, 2017
Closing Date: December 8, 2017
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
The Driver/Maintenance is responsible to drive-transport children in accordance with local and state laws and regulations, which include ensuring a safe environment for the children from door-to-door, also providing building maintenance as needed in order to provide a safe educational setting where children and families can thrive.
• High School diploma or GED required.
• One year of experience as a bus driver/transporter or combined maintenance and experience equivalent.
• Currently have a CDL licensure with school bus endorsement.
• Must have a clean or good driving record with the ability to be insured under the Band’s auto insurance policy.
• Be willing to obtain any special licensures relating to the job.
• Projects a positive image of service, which represents the area of assignment.
• Complies with the Mille Lacs Band drug and alcohol policy.
• Complies with federal background check policy. Loves children can wholeheartedly engage in working with and for them.
• CPR and first aid certified or (within 30days).
• Current mantoux (yearly) and physical every two years.
• Continued compliance of the Mille Lacs Band drug and alcohol policy.
• Employment is conditional upon pre-hire and continued compliance of the background check policy.
• Mandated reporter monitor and report suspected child abuse and neglect.
• All communications are potentially sensitive and are subject to head Start confidentiality policy.
• Projects and maintains an image of service and professionalism with a positive attitude and interacts easily as an integral part of the faculty and staff.
• Understanding of the relationship of the Early Education Program to the Mille Lacs Band Community also values and supports the mission of both.
• Sustained concentration and ability to handle multiple tasks often simultaneously.
• Employees of the Mille Lacs Early Education Program are excluded from MLEE governing boards or committees.
• Head Start / Early Head Start experience.
• Head Start / Early Head Start Parent.
• Background investigation required that shows no theft or fraud above a misdemeanor, no felony drug conviction and no sexual or crimes-against-a-person conviction at any level.
o A staff person with direct contact with or access to children in care must disclose the arrest, conviction, and applicant background information if that staff person:
o has a conviction of, has admitted to, has an adjudication of delinquency for, has been charged and is awaiting trial for, or a preponderance of the evidence indicates the person has committed:
o a crime against a child;
o an act of physical or sexual abuse;
o a felony;
o the same or similar crimes as those in this subsection listed in the laws of another state or of the United States or of any Tribal law;
o has a conviction of, has admitted to, has an adjudication of delinquency for, has been charged and is awaiting trial for, or a preponderance of the evidence indicates the person has committed any misdemeanor offense under Federal, State, or Tribal law involving crimes of violence; sexual assault, molestation, exploitation, contact or prostitution; crimes against persons; or offenses committed against children. The Licensing Committee may evaluate the nature and time of a misdemeanor assault charge as well as other types of misdemeanor crimes not specified in this section to determine whether employment is appropriate.
o 8 MLBSA § 1212(a-b).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Drives assigned routes, notifying coordinator of any changes during route.
• Follows state and local laws and regulations.
• Completes gas, mileage records and repair requests.
• Performs and documents daily safety checks.
• Maintains schedule while following safety rules.
• Ensures children are dropped off at the requested location only.
• Maintains order on bus.
• Is reliable and on time to ensure route stay on time.
• Understands and delivers safe student transportation.
• Daily cleaning as assigned.
• Minor maintenance as assigned assuring general maintenance and inventory for equipment and supplies.
• Attend required trainings.
• Assure that the Head Start Performance Standards are met.
• Maintain supportive documentation as appropriate.
• Supervise and monitor children at all times.
• Participate in regularly scheduled team meetings to plan for and deliver collaborative services across all components.
• Respond appropriately to crisis or emergency situations that may occur.
• Daily kneeling, stooping, bending, and occasional heavy lifting as required by job duties
• Children’s needs. Including the physical ability to respond to children who are active; ensuring their safety or the safety of others in the environment.
• Provide an atmosphere that promotes and reinforces positive relationships and Mille Lacs Band Cultural awareness.
• Typical hours Monday thru Friday 7:00 to 4:30 may require evenings and occasional weekends.
• The stress level is moderate.
• Work is Indoors.
• The risk or personal danger exposure is little.
• Local travel is required.
• Travel outside the state maybe required.
Submit resume, cover letter, and employment application to:
Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe, Attn. Employment Coordinator
43408 Oodena Dr.
Onamia, MN 56359
Fax # (320) 532-7492
e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org