REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS FOR SPECIAL MAGISTRATE SERVICES
The Mille Lacs Band Tribal Court is in need of a contracted Special Magistrate to hear court cases specifically every Monday, except for designated holidays, beginning in January 2018 to September 2018. A potential to continue into the 2019 fiscal year is dependent upon the evaluation and assessment of the Special Magistrate’s contributions and performance.
II. Organization’s Background
The Mille Lacs Band Court of Central Jurisdiction, also referred to as the Tribal Court, hears cases from all three districts of the Mille Lacs Reservation. The cases heard include General Civil, Family Law, Order for Protection, Criminal, Traffic and Natural Resource cases, etc. Currently, the Court of Central Jurisdiction consists of a Court of Appeals, a District Court Judge and three contracted Special Magistrates.
A brief snapshot of the Tribal Courts statistics for 2017 include 1363 new cases filed, 3240 orders issued and 1636 hearing held.
III. Project Scope
• January 8, 2018 to September 2019 – Every Monday except designated holidays.
• Pay – $1,500 per day
• Hours – 8:00 to 5:00 or the extent of the last court hearing.
• Case Types – Primarily Family Law, Truancy, Domestic Abuse, Harassment, Criminal Arraignments; however, there may be other case types added throughout the term of the contract.
• Responsible to draft orders for hearings conducted. Orders are to be issued within a reasonable timeframe but not to exceed 60 days.
IV. Requirements & Timeline
• Expression of interest from qualified individuals are welcomed and must include the following: A resume and cover letter describing the consultant’s qualifications and experience.
• Graduated from an accredited law school and a member of a state bar association.
• No felony or gross misdemeanor convictions.
• Any exclusions or exceptions to the provided Monday court calendar must be in writing.
• References including contact information for at least three organizations for which the consultant has provided judicial services.
• A legal writing sample.
V. Selection Criteria – Review of the qualification of the candidates and interviewed by Justices, District Court Judge and Court Administrator
• Exhibit knowledge, skills and experience in the practice of law.
• Exhibit knowledge of Tribal, Federal and state laws and ordinances and other lawful regulations that may affect the resolution of disputes.
• Knowledge of principles of tribal sovereignty and jurisdiction.
• Proven knowledge of courtroom and trial experience.
• Professional competence including intellectual capacity, professional judgment, analytical, communication, and writing abilities.
• A record and reputation for excellent character and integrity.
• Judicial temperament.
• Exhibit an understanding of Ojibwe culture or other American Indian culture; and how tribal laws, customs and traditions affect dispute resolution.
Resumes are due by Friday, December 18, 2017 by the end of the business day. Interested parties should submit their printed resume to: Mille Lacs Band Tribal Court, Court Administrator Gilda Burr, 43408 Oodena Drive, Onamia, MN 56359
Electronic submissions should be sent to: email@example.com, with a subject line of: Interest in Special Magistrate Contract.
The Mille Lacs Band and Native American Indian preference will apply.
SPECIAL MAGISTRATE'S MONDAY SCHEDULE FOR 2018
January 1, 2018 — Holiday
January 8, 2018
January 15, 2018 — Holiday
January 22, 2018
January 29, 2018
February 5, 2018
February 12, 2018
February 19, 2018 — Holiday
February 26, 2018
March 5, 2018
March 12, 2018
March 19, 2018
March 26, 2018
April 2, 2018
April 9, 2018
April 16, 2018
April 23, 2018
April 30, 2018
May 7, 2018
May 14, 2018
May 21, 2018
May 28, 2018 — Holiday
June 4, 2018
June 11, 2018
June 18, 2018
June 25, 2018
July 2, 2018
July 9, 2018
July 16, 2018
July 23, 2018
July 30, 2018
August 6, 2018
August 13, 2018
August 20, 2018 — Holiday
August 27, 2018
September 3, 2018 — Holiday
September 10, 2018
September 17, 2018
September 24, 2018