Tribal Police Officer (2 Positions)
Position Title: Tribal Police Officer (Two Positions)
Location: Mille Lacs Indian Reservation (Must Complete a Police Officer Application)
Reports to: Patrol Sergeant
Base Salary: $25.00 Per Hour
Opening Date: August 17, 2018
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
To protect the public and address the law enforcement needs of the community, maintain law and order and preserve the peace. To detect, prevent and investigate crime, enforce traffic, natural resources and other laws of the Band and State of Minnesota. Apprehend criminal suspects, maintain order in the Mille Lacs Band Court of Central Jurisdiction, and serve court process. Maintain a positive interaction with the community to work in partnership in deterring criminal activity. PERA benefits apply.
• Minnesota POST board Full-Time peace officer license or eligible to be licensed at time of hire is required.
• Two-year post-secondary education or Minnesota POST reciprocity is required.
• Experience working with Native American communities is preferred.
• Strong background in Community Based Policing is preferred.
• Knowledge of firearms, investigative equipment and other equipment typically used in Law Enforcement.
• Strong organization, communication, and interpersonal skills.
• Exhibit a high level of personal integrity and ethical conduct.
• Must possess a valid Minnesota driver’s license with no restrictions, and must be insurable under the Band’s auto insurance policy.
• Must pass a psychological examination.
• Must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test.
• Must pass a background check.
• Must have a clean criminal record.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
a. Notify state and county authorities of major crimes or disturbances within the area and take appropriate action if requested to do so;
b. Establish good working relationship with other Law Enforcement agencies and assist those agencies if requested to do so;
c. Patrol Reservation community to control traffic, prevent crime or disturbances of the peace and to arrest violators;
d. Must be familiar with area residents and community needs;
e. Render first aid at accidents and investigate;
f. Issue tickets to violators, locate, interview and record eyewitness accounts of violations;
g. File facts and reports for possible use in civil or criminal courts;
h. Investigate criminal cases which involve violations of federal, state, local or Tribal laws;
i. Analyze charge, complaint or alleged violation to identify issues and jurisdictional area and evidence;
j. Develop and use informants in accordance with this policy to obtain information and evidence;
k. Conduct surveillance of persons and area if warranted;
l. Use camera, telephones and other equipment to record facts and evidence;
m. Prepare and present findings and progress of investigations in properly documented reports;
n. Prepare or obtain search warrants and execute.
Pre-trial and trial responsibilities include:
a. Serving legal process such as court orders, summons and complaints and subpoenas to individuals;
b. Serving arrest warrants and evict persons from property designated by court order;
c. Assisting prosecuting attorney in case preparation for trial;
d. Testifying before courts and juries; and
e. Maintaining order in courtroom during trial and ensure security of participants.
Submit resume, cover letter, and a Police Officer Job Application to:
Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe
43408 Oodena Dr.
Onamia, MN 56359
Fax # (320) 532-7492
e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org