Part Time Kitchen Assistant
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
The NASS Kitchen Assistant is responsible for assisting with the preparation, cooking, serving, cleanup, sanitizing and storing of food and utensils, dishes, etc. in an orderly manner.
• High school diploma or GED is preferred; must obtain diploma or GED within one year required.
• One (1) year of prior experience in food preparation, cooking in a food establishment required or a combination of education and experience.
• Physically able to handle large quantities of food, minimum of 50 pounds.
• Ability to read, decipher, and follow proper procedures and directions.
• Provide evidence of negative TB test.
• Experience in and sensitivity to Native American culture.
• Ability to calculate quantities and revise recipes for larger or smaller food batches than the recipe calls for.
• Comply with the Mille Lacs Band Drug & Alcohol policy
• Comply with Federal Background Checks policy.
• Must pass a background check.
• Must pass a Pre-employment drug & alcohol test.
• A staff person with direct contact with or access to children in care must disclose the arrest, conviction, and applicant background information if that staff person:
(a) has a conviction of, has admitted to, has an adjudication of delinquency for, has been charged and is awaiting trial for, or a preponderance of the evidence indicates the person has committed:
1) a crime against a child;
2) an act of physical or sexual abuse;
4) a felony;
5) the same or similar crimes as those in this subsection listed in the laws of another state or of the United States or of any Tribal law;
(b) has a conviction of, has admitted to, has an adjudication of delinquency for, has been charged and is awaiting trial for, or a preponderance of the evidence indicates the person has committed any misdemeanor offense under Federal, State, or Tribal law involving crimes of violence; sexual assault, molestation, exploitation, contact or prostitution; crimes against persons; or offenses committed against children. The Licensing Committee may evaluate the nature and time of a misdemeanor assault charge as well as other types of misdemeanor crimes not specified in this section to determine whether employment is appropriate.
8 MLBSA § 1212(a-b).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Performs a variety of tasks involved in the preparation, cooking and serving of food.
• Assist with menu planning.
• Serve meals.
• Assist with monitoring and maintaining necessary food and cooking supplies.
• Bus dishes, clean and sanitize dining area after meals.
• Wash and store dishes, clean and sanitize kitchen area after meals.
• Maintain proper sanitation in the food preparation areas at all times.
• Report safety or sanitation issues to supervisor.
• Keeps records as needed.
• Ensure that diner’s needs are being met in a safe and dignified manner.
• Ensure all food is prepared, served, and stored in accordance with standard food preparation and service guidelines to ensure prevention of food borne illnesses.
• Ensure that each person on a special diet gets the correct meal.
• Keeps kitchen, serving area, storage and dining areas clean and orderly.
• Other duties related to the position, as assigned.
• Nature of work is such that incumbent experiences infrequent periods of insignificant stress levels due to workload.
• Work is almost exclusively in doors in a controlled climate area. However, kitchen temperatures can become uncomfortable at times.
• May involve exposure to heat and humidity or hazards such as cuts and burns.
• Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
• Hours are typically 9:00-1:00, M-F, but possibly with some extra hours.
• Travel is not required.
Submit resume, cover letter, and employment application to:
Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe
Human Resources Specialist
43408 Oodena Dr.
Onamia, MN 56359
Fax # (320)532-7492
e-mail to email@example.com